Today I am sharing the recipe for aloo tama or potato with bamboo shoot curry. It is very famous and popular in Nepal. I have two methods to cook the bamboo shoots. Today I am showing you the easy process. The final curry is a little sour and really yummy. One of my friend requested me to write this recipe. So, here we go!
- Black eyed beans (Soaked overnight )1/2 kg
- Boiled potato 1kg
- Bamboo sho0t (tama) 500gm
- Onion chopped 30gm
- Tomato chopped 500gm(about 8-10 pieces)
- Ginger Garlic paste 2 tbsp
- Oil 50ml
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin powder 1/2 tbsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala 1/2 tbsp
- Water as required
- Green coriander chopped for garnish
- Soak the black eyed beans in water one day or over night.
2. Boil the potatoes and peel nicely. Dice them and set aside.
3. Chop coriander and set aside.
4. Now heat oil in a presser cooker or saucepan. When oil starts to smoke, add chopped onions and fry until it becomes golden brown in color.5. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, chili powder, garama masala and tomatoes. Mix!6. After 1-2minutes, add ginger garlic paste, salt and add the soaked black eyed beans.7. Add some water, cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook until 1 whistle goes off. Since the beans and tomatoes will also give off water, don’t add too much water. If you don’t have pressure cooker, cook for about 1 hour in medium to low heat or about half an hour in high heat. Now, open the lid and add diced and And add diced and chopped boiled potatoes. Let this mix boil for about 5 minutes and then add bamboo sho0t. Let it boil for 10 more minutes in medium heat.8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaf. Serve with rice, pulau, and rotis as you like.I like to serve this aloo tama tarkari with vegetables pulau.Here is a photo of vegetables pulau I made recently.