Hello and Namste!
Today, I am very excited to be sharing a dish I just discovered with you all. It is the month of Magh in Nepal and everywhere we look, we can find lots of yam(तरुल). My dish is Yam Chilly Fry. Well, you must all be very familiar with chicken chilly, potato fry chilly and other chilly fries that is easily available in most restaurants. But this fried chilly is an entirely new dish which I haven’t found anywhere till now.
Its a dish that I made a week ago in Maghe Sakranti and I really liked it. In this festive season of Magh, there are many different kinds of delicious tubers like sweet potatoes (शक्खरखन्ड ), yam, taro (पिडाँलु), इस्कुसको जरा and many more. In the morning of Maghe Sakranti, my friend had boiled a lot of yam in the morning. We were eating the boiled yam, and in my mind I was thinking if there’s a different way we can eat yam. So I tried making some chilly fried yam. The result had amazing taste. I really enjoyed it, and so did my friends. Therefore, I decided to share this recipe with you all as this is the perfect season to find and make a yam dish. If you would like a twist on the traditional maghe sakrati dish, you can also follow this recipe. It is very easy to make but tastes so yummy.
- Boiled Yam 500gm
- Capsicum 200 gm
- Onion 200gm
- Tomato 200gm
- Oil as required for deep fry
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilly powder 1 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander 1 bunch for garnish
- Dark Thai soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Take a large sauce pan or stock pot and boil the yam until cooked. You can also simply cook the yam in a pressure cooker. After the yam is cooked, let it cool. Remove the skin part and cut into rounded slices as shown below.
2. Heat a deep pan or karai and add oil for deep fry. When the oil is hot and smoking, add the sliced yam pieces and remove them as they become crunchy and slightly golden around the edges.
After deep frying all of the yam, we get beautifully colored fried yams such as these below.
deep fried yam slices Continue reading